How the Quick Hitch Makes Work More Efficient
If you’ve ever put off a project because you didn’t want to take the time and effort to change out attachments, you’re not alone. Even for experienced operators, changing attachments and implements can still be intimidating. Often, there are many moving parts and you have to make sure each component is accounted for. If you’re tired of these headaches, learn why the Yanmar Quick Hitch is just the solution you’ve been looking for.
What is a Quick Hitch?
When you’re researching quick hitches, you may notice there are a number of different options. At the most basic, a quick hitch is a 3-point hitch mounted device that allows 3-point attachments to be easily connected and disconnected from the tractor. In some instances it may also be referred to as a “quick coupler.”
The most common type of quick hitch is the 3-point hitch. Just as the name implies, it means there are three key connection points between the tractor and desired attachment – two lower arms and a top link with mounting pins that lock each point into place.
However, not every quick hitch works with every tractor. They are broken into distinct categories that tell you what size attachments and implements it can handle according to the tractor’s horsepower and mounting pin size. Categories 0 and 1 are ideal for sub-compact tractors up to 45 HP with smaller pins, while category 4 is meant for industrial machines with more than 180 HP and larger pins.
Understanding this basic functionality will help you make the right decision when you’re looking for a hitch that works with your machine and any needed attachments. In addition to convenience, some of the other benefits of a quick hitch include:
- One machine, many attachments. Spare yourself from collecting numerous specialty tools. With a quick hitch from a brand like Yanmar you can trust it’s compatible with their lineup of attachments.
- Across-the-board savings. With a quick hitch you’ll see cost savings in many different areas. Whether that’s in less time spent swapping out implements or buying fewer tools to get the job done.
- Don’t have to leave your seat. When we say a quick hitch is meant for convenience, we’re serious. Many 3-point hitch attachments can be changed out without ever having to leave the operator’s seat.
The Yanmar Quick Hitch
The Yanmar Quick Hitch is built to help you tackle a wide variety of tasks so you have more time to spend on what’s most important. It’s designed to meet the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE) standards, and is constructed of heavy-duty steel for maximum durability.
This category 1 hitch is perfect for the full lineup of Yanmar tractors. It includes ?-inch mounting pins and adapter bushings, an adjustable top-link ball bracket, and comes standard with a bracket you can use with attachments that have a floating top link. With lower arms that lock automatically, you don’t have to get your hands dirty and can keep the toolbox in the garage.
When you have a Yanmar Quick Hitch, you can count on it being compatible with the majority of Yanmar attachments. This includes box scrapers, finish mowers, tillers, and many others.
4 Other Ways to Increase Your Efficiency
It’s clear that the simple addition of a quick hitch can increase efficiency, saving you valuable time and money. But why stop there? Here are some additional tips that can help you increase efficiency when working on your land.
- Regular maintenance. The time spent on regular maintenance will surely be less than if something goes wrong and you lose your tractor for repairs. Simple things like changing engine oil, replacing filters, and lubricating grease points will keep you up and running for the long run. You can even keep a Yanmar maintenance kit handy that has the majority of the parts you need.
- Proper storage. Many tractors spend the winter months safely away from the elements in storage. If your tractor is waiting out the snow and cold in your barn or garage, ensure you winterize it properly so you can hit the ground running in spring. Not sure where to start? This tractor winterization guide will walk you through best practices.
- Minimize idle time. When we say minimize idle time, we don’t mean sitting around on the couch. Instead, be thoughtful about when the engine needs to be running and when it can safely be turned off. If you stop to have a conversation or work on other chores, don’t leave the engine idling until you return. This will minimize fuel waste and help extend engine life.
- Stay balanced. Adapt to the elements and make the necessary changes in ballast and tire pressure to meet the conditions. Even tires underinflated by 10% can reduce tire life by 15%, and proper ballast and weight distribution will help increase your overall fuel efficiency.
Explore Tractor Attachments
Features like the Yanmar Quick Hitch open up a whole world of possibilities. Discover which attachments are compatible and how they can help you work more efficiently every day.