Bull Series UTV Oil Change
How to Change the Oil on Your Yanmar Bull Series UTV
Changing the oil is a regular part of maintenance on just about any vehicle you own. For hard-working vehicles like a Bull UTV, you want to make sure it’s at peak performance to take you everywhere you want to go. Fortunately, this process can be completed quickly and easily from the convenience of your garage. Read on or watch the video to learn everything you need to know to get your UTV oil change done right.
Tools Needed for Bull UTV Oil Change
You can complete an oil change on your Yanmar UTV with just a handful of common tools and parts. Here’s the list you should prepare:
- Torque wrench
- Oil filter wrench (part number YU38411)
- Ratchet and socket
- 3-quart oil pan
- Oil funnel
- Shop towels
- Wheel chocks
- Safety glasses and gloves
For optimal performance, it’s recommended to purchase a Yanmar maintenance kit. It includes three quarts of engine oil, one oil filter cartridge, and one oil filter gasket. You can purchase a maintenance kit from an authorized Yanmar dealer.
Steps for Changing the Oil on Your Bull UTV
Prior to beginning the oil change, start the engine and let it warm up for several minutes. This process heats the oil allowing for more complete drainage. Be careful not to run the engine for too long, as this can make the oil too hot to work with.
After the engine has been sufficiently warmed, here’s what you need to do:
- Park your UTV on a flat, level surface. Turn off the engine, engage the parking brake, and chock the tires.
- Lift the cargo bed of your UTV to access the engine. Remove the engine oil dipstick and place it on a clean rag in a secure area.
- Remove the right rear panel. This is located in front of the passenger side rear tire.
- Position the oil drain pan directly underneath the engine oil drain bolt. You can find the drain bolt located in the last center hole in the rear of the UTV’s skid plate.
- Use a 14 mm socket to remove the drain bolt and allow the oil to drain completely.
- Remove the gasket from the drain bolt, then place the bolt in a secure, clean location with the dipstick.
- Using your oil filter wrench, remove the oil filter cartridge. Inspect the filter flange making sure the old O-ring is removed.
- Take the new oil filter and apply a light coating of oil to the O-ring. Install the new oil filter and hand-tighten until seated on the flange. For final tightening, set your torque wrench to 13 ft-lbs and attach the oil filter wrench. Then, tighten to exactly 13 ft-lbs with the torque wrench. Be careful to avoid over tightening as this can cause future removal issues.
- Remove the drain pan from underneath the UTV and set aside. Place the new gasket on the engine oil drain bolt. Set your torque wrench to 24 ft-lbs and attach a 14 mm socket. Then, reinstall the engine oil drain bolt to the exact value, not exceeding 24 ft-lbs.
- Place the funnel in the oil-fill port and add about 2.5 quarts of fresh engine oil. Reinstall the dipstick and check the oil levels. It will likely be a little low, but you do not want to overfill as too much oil can cause the engine to overheat.
- Start the engine and let it idle for several minutes while checking for any oil leakage. Turn the engine off, wait at least 10 minutes, and check oil levels again adding as needed.
- Reinstall the right-rear panel, close the cargo bed, and your Bull UTV oil change is complete.
Connect With Yanmar
At Yanmar, we’re dedicated to helping every owner get the most out of their UTV, tractor, and attachments. Our expert Customer Experience Team is standing by, ready to answer your questions and provide helpful resources. Please don’t hesitate to connect with us online or give us a call at 678-551-7369.